Sunday 10 August 2014

The Quinoa Bandwagon!

 
Hi Everyone!
 
I've made a real effort recently to eat more healthy and increase the amount of exercise that I do. It is so difficult to find healthy, nutritious and quick meal ideas so I have been researching away and discovered quinoa! Now most people that I have spoken to have never heard of it but it sounds amazing and makes an ideal rice or potato substitute. I have been purchasing the Merchant Gourmet Red & White Quinoa RTE 250g quinoa which is great as you can pop it into the microwave for a hot meal or eat it straight out of the packet with a salad. It has a nice nutty taste and I have mixed it with my own dressing (The juice of a lemon or lime mixed with extra virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper) and added chicken or tuna and sweetcorn, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot to make a delicious, filling salad!
 

 

The health benefits of quinoa are incredible and include:
 
  • Twice the protein or rice or barley
  • Good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese
  • Good levels of vitamin B, vitamin E and dietary fibre.
  • It contains all 9 essential amino acids
  • Low GI
  • Antiseptic
(Source: BBC Good Food and Google).

So what's not to love?

Please let me know if you try it and if you have any recipe ideas for it!

Maz x




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...